Monday, December 26, 2011

Involve me!

Tell me, and I won’t remember. Show me, and I may recall. Involve me, and I will understand. (Chinese Proverb)

When I return to the classroom after the New Year, my bear theme will begin!  I’m drawn to nature and I hope to instill that sense of awe in young children. Using the above proverb as a base for my educational philosophy, I use many hands on experiences with my students. At the nature center, our classroom is the outdoors. In my role as a kindergarten teacher, I bring the outdoors into the classroom. How do I do that with a theme about bears? Here are a few of my favorite activities:


How does a polar bear stay warm? Wear a "Blubber Glove" and slip your covered hand into ice water. Here are the directions: http://whale.wheelock.edu/whalenet-stuff/Blubberglove.html


Journal observations while we view the den cam at http://www.bear.org/livecams/lily-faith-cam.php.  As kindergarten scientists, we talk about drawing and writing what we observe with our scientist eyes. The most important fact my students learned about hibernating bears is that there are many periods of activity in the den.
How big is your paw? Compare your foot/hand with a typical black bear paw print replicated on brown craft paper. Trace your foot/hand inside it.
Here are more black bear lesson plans from bear.org:

No comments:

Post a Comment